“No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.” — Voltaire
I see good people go from good to great all the time. It’s not magic. It’s passion, purpose, and action.
They find their path, they have a purpose, and if they get knocked down, they get up again. They keep asking better and better questions that get them closer to their goals and they continue to find the people and resources that support them on their journey. They turn resistance into growth and they fully immerse themselves in the experience.
I’ve boiled down the pattern I see into 10 keys.
10 Ways to Go from Good to Great
These are the 10 ways I see people go from good to great:
- Find your compelling “why.” Find your one thing. Become a dream machine, turn your dreams loose, and envision the end in mind. Your “why” is your drive and you find your “why” by answering the question, “Why do you do what you do?” To find your compelling, find the answer that connects with your passion and plucks at your heart strings. That’s the power of purpose in action and it’s what crusades are made of. Launch your own crusade.
- Become a force of one. Get out of your own way and stack yourself for success by channeling your thinking, feeling, and doing. Think the thoughts that serve you, feel the feelings that empower you, and do what you know needs to be done. Disciplined thinking combined with disciplined action is an unstoppable force, and it’s yours for the asking.
- Model the best. The best do it with models. They find the best examples of what they want to accomplish, and they learn from them. You can find role models or success stories or case studies and work backwards from there. Success always leaves clues and you can play detective.
- Give your best where you have your best to give. This is you unleashed. The best play to their strengths. They spend more time doing the things that make them strong, and less time doing the things that make them weak. This builds energy and momentum and instead of getting drained, you get charged and you grow where you can grow best.
- Find your best arena. Don’t be a fish out of water. Find your element. Going from good to great means finding where you can play your best game. Maybe you’re a mediocre developer, but a great Program Manager. Maybe you’re an OK doctor, but an incredible actor. Take your skills to the job or place where they make the most impact.
- Execute. Taking action is how you make things happen. Throw massive action at whatever you need to do. Even if it seems like you’re only taking baby steps at a time, you’ll eventually hit your stride. When you keep taking action, you learn faster. Each result teaches you another way how to do something, or how not to do something. Sometimes, the only way to get past some problems is to overwhelm them with action. To paraphrase Voltaire, I would argue no problem can withstand the assault of sustained action.
- Stick with it. If you fall down six times, stand up seven. Remember The Little Engine That Could? Well, whenever you think you can’t, you’re working against yourself. It starts with belief. Think you can, then prove yourself right. Find your eye of the tiger.
- Learn and respond. The best take action, learn, and respond. They are always failing forward. NLP teaches us that there is no failure, only feedback. The great ones use the feedback to improve their approach. They stay adaptable while they are finding their way forward. Be your won best coach, not your own best critic.
- Let it go. The best let it go and move on. They don’t carry baggage. They focus on the objectives and they measure against effectiveness. Either their approach is working or it’s not. If it’s not working, they let it go, and find a new way forward.
- Team up. The best of the best team up with people that amplify their impact. They also team up with people that provide more deliberate feedback and that help them find their blind spots and get unstuck.
Putting it all together, you can stack the deck in your favor by playing to your strengths, living your values, and finding the best arena for your greatest results.
For a step-by-step guide on unleashing your best, explore my free e-book You 2.0.
Photo by Dave-F.