3 Outcomes for Today
What are 3 great results for today? That’s the question I ask to bootstrap my day. As simple as it sounds, I find it’s the most effective way to cut through the fog each day. There’s a lot of things I can do and there’s lots of activities I’ll be doing, but what are 3 great outcomes for today. That’s it.
Here’s an example of my 3 outcomes for one of my days right before I left for vacation::
- Ship Beta 2 of my new book (Application Architecture Guide 2.0)
- Publish a post announcement of the book Beta 1
- Draft of Designing Your Architecture
Great is relative. Value is in the eye of the beholder. if it’s for you, you have a lot of leeway. If it’s for other people, your boss, … etc. then you should sanity check what they care about.
Why 3 things? It forces me to prioritize among a sea of potential results. Also, I can remember 3 things without writing them down, so throughout my day, I know what I’m working towards. I can say it in the hall.
If you manage endless to do lists and work on a bunch of stuff but don’t actually get anything done, try focusing on 3 great results each day. It works.
My Related Posts
- How To Do Tasks More Efficiently
- Solution-Focused Questions
- PRIEST for Well-Formed Outcomes
- The Zen of Results Free E-Book