Are you traveling the road of success? Just like perfection, success is a journey, not a destination. In Your Road Map for Success: You Can Get There from Here, John C. Maxwell writes about how you can choose to travel the road of success at any point.
You Can Travel the Road of Success
“Whether you’re just getting started, arriving at the middle of the trip, or approaching the end of it, you can make it.
I’m here to encourage you and tell you that you can do it too. You can travel the road of success. I don’t know where you are on the journey because I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting you in person. But whether you’re just getting started, arriving at the middle of the trip, or approaching the end of it, you can make it. You can travel the road you were designed to take, and you can finish strong.”
Growth Oriented Over Goal Oriented
“Few things worth having in life are easy. But if you persevere, it probably won’t be long before you realize that you truly are successful. At first, others may not recognize it, and you won’t get the credit you deserve. But as you continue to grow and work at fulfilling your purpose, a time will probably come when others suddenly consider you an overnight success and say, “Wow, how did he get so good so quickly?” And if you continue to be growth oriented rather than goal oriented, you’ll stay on the path of success, and people may even give you more credit than you deserve. But no matter what happens, keep following your road map and moving forward on the journey, staying true to your new definition of success. And as you go, make sure you take others with you.”
What Did You Like Best About the Trip
“Three, five, or even ten years from now maybe we’ll get a chance to meet. And things will have changed for the both of us. I hope you will tell me then that you’ve gone higher up the mountain than you ever expected. And we’ll reminisce, as Stan and I have. And that’s when I’ll ask you again, ‘What did you like best about the trip?”‘
Key Take Aways
Here’s my key take aways:
- Success is a journey, not a destination. Success is a path you choose to take through life.
- Start at any time. No matter where you are in life, you can choose to travel the road of success.
- Focus on growth. Greatness comes from growth. Growth is a process. The best growth is persistent growth over time.
- Follow your purpose. Your success includes following your purpose.
- Enjoy the trip. Find the joy in the process. While sacrifice is often the price of success, it should be a rewarding process. For me, the key is personal growth and the ability to take on new challenges.