“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” — Dave Barry
Dr. Julian Whitaker has spent decades helping people achieve a younger and healthier lifestyle by adopting a holistic approach that focuses on supplements and exercise.
As a firm believer in self-experimentation, I decided to take on the challenge of shedding ten years of age-related damage in just ten weeks based on the book “Shed 10 Years in 10 Weeks” co-authored by Dr. Whitaker and Carol Colman.
In today’s world where heart disease, cancer, and other ailments are prevalent, it’s important to equip ourselves with the right tools and techniques to maintain optimal health.
As I embark on this experiment, I hope to share my journey and notes with friends and colleagues to inspire others to take charge of their own health and well-being.
I’m “going by the book”, so to speak. Shed 10 Years in 10 Weeks, by Dr. Julian Whitaker and Carol Colman, walks through the reverse aging program used by the Whitaker Wellness Institute.
About Dr. Julian Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker is a renowned integrative medicine specialist and author who has dedicated his life to helping people age gracefully.
He is the founder and director of the Whitaker Wellness Institute in Newport Beach, California, which is known for its cutting-edge programs and treatments for improving health and preventing age-related conditions.
But what really sets Dr. Whitaker apart, in my mind, is his personal story of triumph.
At the age of 51, he completed a 10-week long, 4,000-mile bike ride across the United States, starting as one of the slowest riders in the group and finishing as one of the strongest.
While he trained for four months and ate a healthy diet, Dr. Whitaker credits his success to the supplements he took. His Age Loss program is based on the same supplements that helped him endure his epic journey.
Benefits of the Age Loss Program
Here’s a list of the potential benefits outlined in the book:
- Lose a decade’s worth of fat and regain ten year’s worth of muscle.
- Erase fine lines, diminish wrinkles, and restore youthful glow.
- Boost your brain power and sharpen your memory.
- Revitalize and enjoy your sex life.
- Strengthen your immune system and prevent disease.
- Recharge your spirit and regain your energy of yesteryear.
The Key to the Age Loss Program
Dr. Whitaker’s approach to shedding 10 years of age-related damage is not a magic trick, but rather a formula that is backed by research and more than 15,000 patient experiences.
The formula consists of eating the right foods, taking the right supplements, exercising regularly, and managing stress.
However, Dr. Whitaker emphasizes the importance of combining supplements to achieve optimal results.
Wellness and Reversing Diseases
Dr. Whitaker’s approach to healthcare is centered on promoting wellness rather than just treating illness, which is something that really resonates with me.
He’s dedicated to finding the best practices and sharing what works with others.
What sets him apart is his emphasis on “reversing” health issues, such as diabetes, heart disease, and other health risks.
This forward-thinking approach is both empowering and encouraging.
10 Steps of the Age Loss Program
Here’s a summary of the objectives of the ten steps, according to Dr. Whitaker and Colman.
|Step 1: All Systems Go||
|Step 2: Lose a Decade Worth of Fat||
|Step3: Renew Tired, Worn-Out Skin||
|Step 4. Regain Ten Years of Muscle||
|Step 5: Boost Your Brain Power||
|Step 6. Revitalize Your Sex Life||
|Step 7: Rejuvenate While You Sleep||
|Step 8: Recharge the Spirit||
|Step 9: Reinvigorate Your Immune System||
|Step 10: Regain a Decade’s Worth of Health By Correcting the Glitches||
Here’s an example of the supplement routine, based on Dr. Whitaker and Colman:
Here’s an example of the skin routine, based on Dr. Whitaker and Colman:
Here’s an example of the workout routine based on Dr. Whitaker and Colman:
|Week 1 and 2||
|Week 3 and 4||
|Week 5 and 6||
|Week 7 and 8||
|Week 9 and 10||
Dr. Julian Whitaker’s Supplement Recommendations
Here are examples of the key supplements Dr. Whitaker recommends:
- Beta-Carotene (15,000 total)
- Chromium Picolinate (200 Micrograms total) (2 x 100 micrograms)
- Co-Q10 (60 MG total) (2 x 30 MG)
- Ginkgo Biloba (120 MG total) (2 x 60 MG)
- Lipoic Acid (50 MG total) (2 x 25 MG)
- Omega-3 (1000 MG total) (360 MG EPA, 240 MG DHA)
- Potassium – Magnesium apartate (1000 MG total) (2 x 500 MG)
- Selenium (200 Micgrograms total)
- Vitamin A (5000 IU total)
- Vitamin C (2500 MG total) (Multi-vitamin = 1200 MG,
- supplement = 1300 MG)
- Vitamin E (800 MG total)
Shopping List Example
Here are examples of how the supplements mapped to products I could actually get:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (Solar Ray Alpha Lipoic Acid, 250 MG, 60 capsules)
- Bio CoQ-10 (Solar Ray Bio CoQ-10, 60 MG, 60 capsules)
- Chromium Picolinate (Trader Darwin’s Chromium Picolinate –
- 200 Micrograms, 100 tablets)
- Ginkgo Biloba (Solar Ray, Ginkgo Biloba, 60 MG)
- Magnesium and Potassium Asporatates (Solar Ray Magnesium and Potassium Asporatates)
- Multi-vitamin (Super Nutrition – Iron Free, Easy Swallow Opti-Pack)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Trader Darwin’s Omega-3 Fatty Acids, 1200 MG, 90 softgels)
- Vitamin C (Solar Ray Bio-Plex, Buffered Vitamin C, 500 MG, 250 capsules)
- Green drink (Greens to Go)
- Odorless Garlic (Trader Darwin’s Odorless Garlic)
- Olive and Oregano Oil (Trader Darwin’s Olive and Oregano Oil
My Results After 3 Weeks
After just three weeks, I’m already seeing some positive changes. While I’m not expecting miracles, I’ve managed to shed over 10 pounds and am closer to my ideal weight.
I’ve also noticed that I have more energy throughout the day, and I’m feeling more vibrant and powerful overall.
While I understand that diet, exercise, and sleep can contribute to these changes, I believe that the supplements are playing a crucial role in my hair and nail growth, as well as my skin’s newfound radiance.
I’ve learned a few lessons so far that really help me:
- Reduce friction. Rather than depend on sheer will power, I find ways to make it easier to fall into success. trade complexity for simplicity. Anything I can do to simplify or reduce friction, I do. For example, rather than run outdoors, I got a NordicTrack Elliptical so that rainy days didn’t get in the way.
- Find the fun. I think anything long-term has to be fun. In general, we move towards pleasure and away from pain. For example, I originally was going to get a treadmill, but realized that I liked the idea of bounding on an Elliptical better. I also found that I need to play my favorite songs to associate fun to the pain of the workout.
- Take weekends off. I doubt Dr. Whitaker would agree, but for me, it’s easier for me to push during the week, if the weekend is playtime.
- Make it a routine. I found that I really have to make it a routine so the less I have to think about it, the easier it is to just do it. For example, even just scheduling time for the workout was important. I tested in the morning and tested at night, and while the morning is easier to make a routine, I find I like it more at night.
- Find your personal success patterns. I experimented with a few different sleep patterns and found that if I wake up too early, I’m just no my most for the day. I really do measure my day in power hours. What good is having more time if you can’t use it? I finally realized that just by flipping through my past experiences, I could find success patterns that worked to draw from.
- Turn your routines into checklists. I find that having a simple, scannable checklists go a long way (for example, the supplement routine, skin routine, and workout routine above helped me quickly visualize what I need to do.)
- Find what works for you. I found the diet part of the routine a little tough to follow. I think the principles were sound, but it’s easier for me to just follow The Zone. (see A Zone Primer.)