“The future belongs to those who learn more skills and combine them in creative ways.” — Robert Greene
Welcome to the world of sustainable high performance!
As a seasoned professional with over 20 years of experience at Microsoft, I have practiced and taught these sustainable high-performance habits to individuals, teams, and leaders with great success.
At the core of these sustainable high-performance habits lies a focus on your personal energy, cultivating your strengths, and exploring your passions.
Ultimately, your sustainable high-performance comes from building your inner strength.
Join me on a journey of discovery as we explore the 7 better habits that can help you achieve sustainable high performance in all aspects of your life.
7 Better Habits of Sustainable High Performance
The 7 better habits of sustainable high performance are essential for achieving success in both work and life:
- Prioritize your goals: Identify your most important goals and focus your time and energy on achieving them.
- Practice daily reflection: Take time each day to reflect on your actions, thoughts, and emotions, and identify areas for improvement.
- Cultivate a growth mindset: Embrace challenges as opportunities for growth and develop a mindset of continuous learning and improvement.
- Practice self-care: Take care of your physical and mental health by getting enough sleep, exercise, and healthy food, and practicing stress-reducing activities like meditation or yoga.
- Build a strong support system: Surround yourself with positive and supportive people who can help you achieve your goals and provide encouragement and feedback.
- Develop effective time management skills: Learn to prioritize your time, delegate tasks when appropriate, and focus on the most important and urgent tasks first.
- Stay adaptable: Embrace change and be willing to adjust your approach as necessary to achieve your goals and navigate challenges.
Prioritizing your goals, practicing daily reflection, cultivating a growth mindset, practicing self-care, building a strong support system, developing effective time management skills, and staying adaptable are key actions that can help you achieve your goals and navigate challenges.
By embracing these habits, you can increase your productivity, reduce stress, and achieve a more fulfilling and sustainable life.
1. Prioritize Your Goals
Prioritizing your goals is a big deal related to high performance because it helps you focus your energy and resources on the most important things that will lead to success. By prioritizing your goals, you can avoid distractions and time-wasting activities that don’t align with your objectives.
This allows you to be more efficient, productive, and effective in achieving your desired outcomes. Additionally, prioritizing your goals helps you create a clear and actionable plan for achieving success, which can boost your confidence and motivation.
Prioritizing your goals is a key aspect of high performance because it helps you stay focused, motivated, and on track towards achieving your goals.
3 key insights for prioritizing goals:
- Clarity of purpose is critical to identifying and prioritizing your goals.
- The Pareto principle (80/20 rule) can be applied to goal setting to focus on the most important goals.
- Time management is essential to effectively prioritize and achieve goals.
3 actions for prioritizing goals:
- Write down your goals and prioritize them based on their importance and alignment with your purpose.
- Focus on the top 20% of goals that will have the greatest impact on your life and work.
- Use time-blocking and other time management techniques to prioritize and schedule your most important goals first.
2. Practice Daily Reflection
Daily reflection is a big deal for high performance because it helps individuals to become more self-aware of their actions, behaviors, and habits.
By taking the time to reflect on their day, they can identify areas where they excelled and areas where they can improve. This self-awareness is crucial for personal growth and development, which in turn, can lead to increased productivity and success.
Additionally, daily reflection can help individuals to stay focused on their goals and priorities, and make adjustments to their actions and behaviors accordingly.
3 key insights for practicing daily reflection:
- Daily reflection helps you gain clarity and insight into your thoughts, feelings, and actions.
- Reflection allows you to identify patterns in your behavior, strengths and weaknesses, and areas for improvement.
- Daily reflection helps you stay focused on your goals and align your actions with your values.
3 actions for practicing daily reflection:
- Set aside time each day to reflect on your experiences, thoughts, and feelings.
- Use prompts such as journaling or guided reflection exercises to help guide your reflections.
- Identify areas for improvement and set actionable goals to address them.
3. Cultivate a Growth Mindset
Cultivating a growth mindset is a key factor in high performance because it allows you to approach challenges with a sense of curiosity and a willingness to learn and improve. A growth mindset effectively helps you achieve your full potential and reach new levels of success.
Instead of being discouraged by failure or setbacks, those with a growth mindset are more likely to persist and improve.
By embracing a growth mindset, you can overcome obstacles, develop resilience, and continuously improve yourself and your performance.
3 key insights for cultivating a growth mindset:
- Embrace challenges and see them as opportunities for growth.
- Learn from feedback, both positive and negative, and use it to improve.
- Believe that effort and perseverance lead to mastery and success.
3 actions for cultivating a growth mindset:
- Set learning goals and focus on the process of growth, not just the outcome.
- Practice self-compassion and treat mistakes and setbacks as learning opportunities.
- Surround yourself with people who have a growth mindset and who inspire and support you in your journey.
4. Practice Self-Care
Practicing self-care is a big deal for high performance because it allows you to recharge and maintain your physical, mental, and emotional health.
When you prioritize your self-care, you are better equipped to handle stress, manage your energy, and maintain your focus and productivity in the long run. This ultimately leads to higher levels of performance, greater resilience, and overall well-being.
3 key insights for practicing self-care:
- Self-care is essential for maintaining physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
- Neglecting self-care can lead to burnout, stress, and health problems.
- Prioritizing self-care can lead to increased productivity, creativity, and overall happiness.
3 actions for practicing self-care:
- Schedule regular exercise, meditation, or other stress-relieving activities.
- Set boundaries with work and personal responsibilities to ensure adequate rest and relaxation time.
- Practice self-compassion by being kind to yourself, celebrating successes, and acknowledging areas for growth without self-judgment.
5. Build a Strong Support System
Building a strong support system is crucial for high performance because it helps individuals to stay motivated, focused, and resilient.
Here are a few reasons why it’s important:
- Provides emotional support: When you have a strong support system, you have people who care about you and want to see you succeed. They can provide emotional support during tough times and help you stay positive.
- Offers diverse perspectives: A support system that includes people from different backgrounds and experiences can offer a wider range of perspectives and ideas. This can help you see problems and opportunities from different angles, leading to better decision-making.
- Increases accountability: When you share your goals and plans with others, you are more likely to stick to them. A support system can help hold you accountable and keep you on track.
3 key insights for building a strong support system:
- Having a strong support system can help you stay motivated, overcome challenges, and achieve your goals.
- Your support system can consist of friends, family, mentors, coaches, or even online communities.
- Building and maintaining a support system takes time and effort, but it is well worth the investment.
3 actions for building a strong support system:
- Identify the people in your life who can provide support and encouragement, and make an effort to stay connected with them regularly.
- Seek out new connections and relationships with people who share your interests and values, both in-person and online.
- Consider working with a mentor or coach who can provide guidance, accountability, and a fresh perspective on your goals and challenges.
6. Develop effective time management skills
Developing effective time management skills is a big deal for high performance because time is a finite resource, and being able to manage it effectively is crucial for achieving goals and staying productive.
Effective time management can help reduce stress, increase focus and productivity, and ultimately lead to a greater sense of satisfaction and fulfillment. It can also help individuals prioritize tasks and make better use of their time, leading to greater success and achievement
3 key insights for developing effective time management skills:
- Time is a finite resource, and it’s important to use it effectively.
- Effective time management can reduce stress and increase productivity.
- Time management is a skill that can be developed and improved with practice.
3 actions for developing effective time management skills:
- Prioritize tasks based on their importance and urgency.
- Use time-blocking techniques to schedule specific blocks of time for different tasks.
- Minimize distractions by turning off notifications, closing unnecessary tabs, and working in a quiet environment.
7. Stay adaptable
Staying adaptable is a big deal for high performance because the ability to quickly adjust and pivot to changing circumstances is crucial for success in today’s fast-paced and ever-changing world.
By staying adaptable, you can avoid getting stuck in rigid and outdated ways of thinking and working, and instead stay agile and responsive to new opportunities and challenges. This can help you stay relevant, innovative, and effective in your work.
3 key insights for staying adaptable are:
- Change is constant: The ability to stay adaptable is crucial because the world around us is constantly changing. Being adaptable means being able to quickly adjust to changes, challenges, and opportunities that arise.
- Growth mindset: Having a growth mindset is essential for staying adaptable. This means embracing challenges, learning from failure, and focusing on continuous improvement.
- Agility and resilience: Being adaptable requires agility and resilience. It means being able to respond quickly to changing circumstances and being able to bounce back from setbacks.
3 actions to stay adaptable are:
- Practice flexibility: To stay adaptable, it’s important to be flexible in your thinking and approach. This means being open to new ideas, taking risks, and experimenting with different approaches.
- Embrace change: Instead of fearing change, embrace it. Recognize that change can bring new opportunities and be willing to step outside of your comfort zone to explore them.
- Learn and grow: Stay curious and continuously learn and grow. This will help you stay adaptable by keeping your skills and knowledge up-to-date and helping you to develop new ones as needed.
Better Habits for Better Performance the Sustainable Way
By prioritizing your goals, practicing daily reflection, cultivating a growth mindset, practicing self-care, building a strong support system, developing effective time management skills, and staying adaptable, you can achieve sustainable high performance.
These habits require consistent effort and dedication, but the rewards are worth it.
With the right mindset and actions, you can reach your full potential and lead a fulfilling life both personally and professionally.
You Might Also Like
High Performance Defined
Feedback is the Ultimate Tool for High Performance
The Trusting Mindset: Where High Performance Happens
How To Find Your High-Performance Pattern
How To Know What High Performance Feels Like