Sometimes your best strategy is to do the opposite.
I was having lunch with a friend, when he made the comment that sometimes the best strategy is to do the opposite. Doing the opposite can be a great way to differentiate (aka a “differentiation strategy.”)
You might know some people that do the opposite well. Warren Buffet and his investment strategy come to mind. So does Muhammad Ali and his fighting strategy.
Here are some examples of doing the opposite:
- Try simple Web pages over crazy busy ones.
- Try focus over fanning out.
- Try quality over quantity.
- Try small instead of big.
- Try specific instead of general.
- Try Jack-of-All-Trades, instead of master of one (all hail the Renaissance Man.)
If all else fails, there’s one strategy you can always fall-back on …
You can always do the opposite of what doesn’t work.
Photo by Shandi-lee.